Qizhen (Katherine) Li
Materials Science and Engineering
University of Nevada, Reno
1664 North Virginia, M/S: 388
Reno, Nevada 89557
Office: LMR 467
- MSE 361 Thermodynamics of Materials
- MSE 232 Principles of Metallurgical Engineering
- MSE 101 Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering I
- MSE 721 Alloy Selection and Failure Analysis
- MSE 474/674 Fundamentals of MEMS/NEMS
- MSE 460 Physical Metallurgy I
Research and Publications
Selected Recent Publications
Design and manufacture of advanced materials (e.g., light weight materials and structures, nanoporous materials, nanocomposites, nanostructured multilayered thin films, lattice block structures) for structural, energy, and bio-applications;
Nano and micro fabrication, and materials synthesis/processing;
Mechanical behavior of materials, Nano/micro-mechanics, Fatigue and Fracture;
Relationship among processing, structure and property of advanced materials;
Biomaterials and biomechanics, bone/dental implant materials, biomedical applications of shape memory alloys, magnesium alloys, and titanium alloys.
- Q. Yu, J. Zhang, Y.Y. Jiang, Q.Z. Li, Effect of strain ratio on cyclic deformation and fatigue of extruded AZ61A magnesium alloy, International Journal of Fatigue 44, 2012, pg. 225-233
- Q.Z. Li, Fatigue behavior and microstructure of 0001 and -1014 magnesium single crystals under compression-compression cyclic loading, Materials Science and Engineering A 556, 2012, pg. 301-308
- Q.Z. Li, Mechanical Properties and Microscopic Deformation Mechanism of Polycrystalline Magnesium under High-Strain-Rate Compressive Loadings, Materials Science and Engineering A 540, 2012, pg. 130-134
- Q.Z. Li, B. Tian, Mechanical properties and microstructure of pure polycrystalline magnesium rolled by different routes, Materials Letters 67 (1), pg. 81-83, 2012
- Q. Yu, J. Zhang, Y. Jiang, and Q.Z. Li, An Experimental Study on Cyclic Deformation and Fatigue of Extruded ZK60 Magnesium Alloy, International Journal of Fatigue, 2011, Vol.36, pp.47-58
- Q.Z. Li, Dynamic mechanical response of magnesium single crystal under compression loading: Experiments, model, and simulations, Journal of Applied Physics 109, 103514 (2011)
- B. Tian, F. Chen, Y.X. Tong, L. Li, Y.F. Zheng, Y. Liu, Q.Z. Li, Phase transition of Ni-Mn-Ga alloy powders prepared by vibration ball milling, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 509:4563-4568, 2011
- Q.Z. Li, Q. Yu, J. Zhang, Y.Y. Jiang, Microstructure and Deformation Mechanism of Mg6Al1ZnA Alloy Experienced Tension-Compression Cyclic Loading, Scripta Materialia, 64: 233-236, 2011
- J. Zhang, Q. Yu, Y.Y. Jiang, Q.Z. Li, An Experimental Study of Cyclic Deformation of Extruded AZ61A Magnesium Alloy, International Journal of Plasticity, 27 (5): 768-787, 2011
- Q. Yu, J. Zhang, Y.Y. Jiang, Q.Z. Li, Multiaxial Fatigue of Extruded AZ61A Magnesium Alloy, International Journal of Fatigue, 33: 437-447, 2011
- Q.Z. Li, Q. Yu, J. Zhang, Y.Y. Jiang, Effect of Strain Amplitude on Tension-Compression Fatigue Behavior of Extruded Mg6Al1ZnA Magnesium Alloy, Scripta Materialia, 62:778-781, 2010
- Q.Z. Li, Thickness Distribution of Superplastic Formed Titanium-based Domes, JOM, 62: 25-27, 2010
- Q. Li, E. Chen, D. Bice, and D. Dunand, "Mechanical Properties of Cast Ti-6Al-2Sn-4Zr-2Mo Lattice Block Structures," Advanced Engineering Materials, 10  939-942 (2008).
- Q. Li, E. Chen, D. Bice, and D. Dunand, "Mechanical properties of cast Ti-6Al-4V lattice block structures," Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 39  441-449 (2008).
- Q. Li, "Modeling of Transformation Superplastic Forming of Ti Alloys," Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 17  363-368 (2008).
- Q. Li, E. Chen, D. Bice, and D. Dunand, "Transformation Superplasticity of Cast Titanium and Ti-6Al-4V," Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 38  44-53 (2007).
- Q. Li and P.M. Anderson, "Dislocation-based Modeling of the Mechanical Behavior of Epitaxial Metallic Multilayer Thin Films," Acta Materialia, 53  1121-1134 (2005).
- Q. Li and P.M. Anderson, "A Three-dimensional Cellular Automaton Model of Dislocation Motion in FCC Crystals," Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 12  929-943 (2004).
Education and Professional Appointments
2012-, Associate Professor, Chemical and Materials Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno
2006-2012, Assistant Professor, Chemical and Materials Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno
2004-2006, Postdoctoral Fellow, Materials Science and Engineering Department, Northwestern University
2000-2004, PhD, Materials Science and Engineering, The Ohio State University
Honors, Awards, and Grants
TMS Young Leader Professional award
Nevada Regents Rising Researcher Award
UNR Junior Faculty Research Award
NASA EPSCoR Research Grant
College of Engineering
Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
University of Nevada, Reno